A few years ago the parish Finance Council had the Upper Church and the school building reviewed for stability and code needs. To bring the building up to code and to be structurally sound would require investments at costs today of above 5 million dollars. Recognizing that keeping things the same, as far as our upper property is concerned, is unsustainable, a vision for “Going Home” was envisioned: returning to the property where our Catholic life in Berkeley Heights was born.
After prayerful discernment, study and discussion between our pastor, staff, Finance Council and the Archdiocese, the decision was made to begin the undertaking of “Going Home”. During this process we exchanged properties with the Township of Berkeley Heights and have taken ownership and renovated the old township library to our New Parish Center. We have transformed the interior of the old public library into our pastoral center with offices, large meeting rooms, and classrooms.
WHERE WE ARE NOW
We beginning the next phase of the Going Home initiative, expanding our beloved Little Church and creating a memorial garden which will serve as a bridge between our Parish Center and Little Church. The church will be renovated to accommodate 500 worshipers and add new gathering spaces.
Our Memorial Garden will be a place that honors the departed, comforts the living and celebrates families or milestones such as baptisms, weddings and anniversaries. While the greenery and flowering plants reassure us that life goes on, it is the memorial bricks’ engraved tributes that play the most essential role. They alone can tell the story of the individuals who made such a difference in the lives of others.
For more information about Going Home, please call Carolee Aresco at the Parish Center Office at 908-464-1585.